revtwt

Monday, December 5, 2011

Passion, Commitment and Success in Sales!


Some years ago when I was racing a NASCAR Late Model Stock Car, a retired Driver by the name of Mike Lovetere was on my team. Mike had raced in that same division and had won over 100 races as a Driver! Having retired as a Driver, he sold me his Late Model Stock Car. I asked him if he could help me and the Crew set it up; "get it dialed in". After installing a drive train and making some modifications to the car, we brought it to The Waterford Speed Bowl, in Connecticut, for Opening Day. Mike arrived as promised and helped us all day. He became the defacto Crew Chief; coaching me over the radio as I drove, teaching and directing the Crew. He did this throughout that season and the next and the next.

After several years of not having much contact with Mike, I called him last week. I asked him if he could "Spot me" that is, talk to me/coach me on the radio, as I race our last race of this season. After checking with his wife, always a good idea, he told me he'd be there to "Spot" all weekend. Mike never missed a race that he said he'd be at. He always came prepared and gave it 100%. I've never paid him anything to be there, he did it because he loves the sport and "the hunt for victory". He has a passion for success which fuels his commitment level.

Compare my experience with Mike Lovetere to the experiences you've had with many salespeople. Although the roles are dramatically different, I think you'll find many things relevant. I think you'll also find that the contrast is startling in terms of the level of commitment and passion for success. Passion for success "fuels" commitment. The measure of commitment is in the execution of certain behaviors that sales people may make. Here's a list of behaviors that I suggest for more success in sales:

Prepare for every sales call you make for the rest of your life! Learn the Five Elements of Pre-call Preparation. They are: have a goal for the sales call; have an agreement with the prospect that supports your goal; write down five to ten questions to uncover pain and things you don't know that you'd like to know; have the appropriate mindset going into the sales call and practice the "Two Minute Drill".

Always take notes on a Sales Calls; have a composition notebook to take them in. It makes you look more studious and less like a salesperson. That's awesome for relaxing the prospect and having meaningful, no pressure Sales Calls.

Include in your notes anything that the prospect, as well as yourself, committed to doing.

Sometimes it's appropriate to send an e-mail within 24 hours to re-affirm what you covered in the meeting and next steps.

Do what you said you'd do in a timely manner.

If something changes and you can't do what you said you would, contact the prospect as soon as possible.

Task yourself with plenty of electronic reminders to stay on top of things.

Continue to pursue and remember to "play Air Traffic Controller" with others involved in your company who are helping with the prospect.

Once you've closed a deal, continue to "play Air Traffic Controller". Do this with team members on your team and with the "Cast of Characters" at the account by keeping them informed and dealing with any concerns before they become problems.

To do all of the above effectively, I think you must really enjoy sales. If not, you're doing something wrong. So, if you aren't having fun, get a coach or trainer. Some people have fun at selling and some don't. Of the ones that aren't enjoying it, it's because they aren't getting enough appointments or closing enough deals or both! A good Coach or Trainer can help you really enjoy sales and that "fuels" your commitment and passion!
As an experienced, winning Driver Mike was candid with me, even when what he had to say would "sting a little". I always preferred that to "smoke" as I can learn from an expert being honest and "smoke" has no substance so you can't learn from it.

If your sales numbers aren't where you want them to be, register for one of our FREE Executive Sales Training Boot Camps! Or call 1-781-848-0993 for more information.

Check out our Boston Sales Training blog.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Greg_Nanigian



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6731622

No comments:

Post a Comment